Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wasabi Slaw





Came across this the other day on the web.


Don’t ask me why I was Googling images of my name.  Okay, ask.  So I was actually doing the same thing for my wife, the artist Sharon Shapiro, who judging from the vast array of images attached to her name makes her really popular.  Certainly my next train of thought (because they are simple thoughts) was to google mine.  I think I found one photo of me, amongst the hundreds of the English rock star who is using my name.

But I did come across the sign, and so I am taking it as a sign, from the universe of course, to get in the race for Mayor.  The only sticking point is I don’t live in the city, I’m in Louisa County.  Rests assure, I won't be dicking around with any county supervisor nonsense, no no.  If I am to be mayor, I am doing so with an iron fist my or the highway attitude. It seems the most proximate local to take over, excuse me, run for mayor, would be Ferncliff.

Now, for those of you unfamiliar with Ferncliff, it’s a small village just down the road from my place. Well, okay it’s actually an intersection.  It boasts a full service station (good luck finding those anymore), a market, a big church, and self-storage place slash tanning salon.  Yes, that last business is a combination. A brilliant idea.  The last time I had to put stuff in storage I was thinking, “you know, this is a pretty cool but what I’d really like right now is to lay in a tanning bed”.  

I’m feeling pretty confident and I’ll tell you why.  All politicians throw picnics, but how many of them actually do the cooking? See where I’m coming from?  I’ll be serving my Fried Chicken, Pulled Pork BBQYeast Biscuits (those are all links by the way folks.  I know, I have to get on my tech team make them stand out more ) as well as all the fixings.  No ballot stuffing or hanging chad stuff needed here, it’s all about the food, baby, and by the looks of things, this election will soon be in the bag.

So while I’m mulling over paint swatches for my new Mayoral office (located in the back corner unit  of the storage/tanning place), I will share with you one of the side dishes for the upcoming picnic, Wasabi Slaw. 

2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded green cabbage
3 medium carrots
1 english cucumber



1/3 cup Wasabi Powder
2/3 cup Hot Water
1 cup buttermilk
3 T sugar
3 T rice wine vinegar
2 T black/white sesame seeds


 That's Wasabi Powder. Please don't snort this.
Do add hot water.  The water must be hot, otherwise it will have an unbearable after taste.  
Mix to form a paste
Add the buttermilk, rice wine vinegar and sugar.  
Finally the sesame seeds.  Done.  At this point, this dressing is really hot.  If you want it to mellow, refrigerate for a couple hours and let the buttermilk work on the wasabi some. It will soften considerably.  

When you are ready give it all a good toss.  It's ready for the picnic, for some rare seared Tuna, or in my case last night, this Pork Loin. 
Yes, I do eat like that at home.  And you can too if you follow along and most importantly, cast your vote for me, Tim Burgess for Mayor of Ferncliff, come this fall.

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment